Thursday, December 12, 2013

His Name

We had a really difficult time deciding on a name this time. I think boy names are just really hard. We wanted it to be something unique and not overly common but at the same time not weird. We had a list with 3 or 4 that we liked but we just couldn’t seem to commit to one. I even suggested that we try saying the name over and over and over like we do Lukas’ on a daily basis to see if we liked it!

About a month ago, I received an email from our agency about a couple of things and one of them was if we had decided on a name yet. I replied that we hadn’t but would let them know when we did. I then received another email saying that was fine but if we didn’t decide so that our Korean agency could submit the name with our court paperwork (if that ever happens!) then we would have to legally have some paperwork changed once we returned home with him. That would cost time and money. Well, that put a fire under us right then and there! We immediately decided and sent the name to our agency.

So drumroll, please! His name will be…..

Colin Minho

I think I knew it was going to be that all along but just couldn’t go ahead and make the decision. There was no question that we were going to keep Minho as his middle name and so we had to find something that would sound good with it. I like the way the two names go together. A neat little fact: Lukas has the same initials as my mom and Colin has the same initials as my dad. Not something that was planned at all but really kind of neat.

A funny story I don’t want to forget about deciding his name. While we were trying to decide on a name we told Lukas the choices. Big mistake! When we told him that we had decided on Colin, he was very upset! “I not like that name. That is not his name. I not call him that when he comes home. I call him Owen!” That was one of our choices and it seems that he liked that one much better. He was so upset about it that if we hadn’t already sent the agency an email we probably would have changed it to Owen. For several days every time we said Colin he would say “his name is not Colin, it’s Owen!” Ha! What a boy he is! He has cooled off about it since then and doesn’t mention it anymore but he calls him Minho more than Colin. Actually we all do since we said Minho for so long.

When looking at a Christian baby name book one day, I found some info about the name Colin. It is Irish and means victorious. The verse chosen to go with the name is I Corinthians 2:9:

But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

I love the meaning and the verse. They both seem very fitting for this son God has chosen for our family.

2 comments:

Yvonne said...

Perfect! And hugs to you...waiting is so, so hard - especially over the holidays. I know you know that God's timing is best, but I'm praying that you feel the peace that confidence in Him brings. Hang in there friend.

Melissa said...

I just love how L has taken such ownership over it. You might never hear the end of it. :)